“AJ+’s documentary series on automation explores how advancements in artificial intelligence, robotics, machine learning and automated vehicles will affect jobs, cities and inequality. From trucking to radiology, new technology is already changing white collar and blue collar occupations, reshaping cities and concentrating wealth in the hands of the few. Robots are taking over the world as companies like Tesla, Amazon, Uber and Google are using robots to automate.”
“The dynamics of this decline are precisely those of a gold mine. The fist-sized nuggets have all been found, the gravel and sand is getting more expensive to recover, and soon there will be nothing but dust.”
If you haven’t seen this video, which has been around for a few years now, do yourself a favor and watch it. Al Bartlett is a pleasure to listen to and compared to the loons on both sides of the energy and economy discussions (fossil fuels vs ‘going green’, growth vs sustainability) he may be the only one worth listening to.
“The primary cause of violence is deprivation of affectionate touch during infancy and childhood and/or erotic touch during adolescence and adulthood, developmental psychologist James W. Prescott concluded after decades of research into the origins of violence.
“‘I am convinced that various abnormal social and emotional behaviors resulting from what psychologists call ‘maternal-social’ deprivation … are caused by … the deprivation of body touch, contact, and movement,’ Prescott writes.
“‘Respondents who rejected abortion, responsible premarital sex, and nudity within the family were likely to approve of harsh physical punishment for children and to believe that pain helps build strong moral character,’ he wrote. ‘These respondents were likely to find alcohol and drugs more satisfying than sex.'”
“The glaciers of Pine Island Bay are two of the largest and fastest-melting in Antarctica. … Together, they act as a plug holding back enough ice to pour 11 feet of sea-level rise into the world’s oceans—an amount that would submerge every coastal city on the planet. For that reason, finding out how fast these glaciers will collapse is one of the most important scientific questions in the world today.”
Hyperbole in the title. But an article well worth reading.
“What has changed over the last 4 years is market share of traffic on the Web. It looks like nothing has changed, but GOOG and FB now have direct influence over 70%+ of internet traffic. Mobile internet traffic is now the majority of traffic worldwide and in Latin America alone, GOOG and FB services have had 60% of mobile traffic in 2015, growing to 70% by the end of 2016. The remaining 30% of traffic is shared among all other mobile apps and websites. Mobile devices are primarily used for accessing GOOG and FB networks.”